Originally appearing in Butler University Named Spaces
Clowes Memorial Hall, on the campus of Butler University, is named in memory of its benefactors, Edith (1885-1967) and Dr. George H.A. Clowes (1877-1958), for whom the university’s chemistry department also is named. The acoustically perfect hall has been a cultural center in Indianapolis since being built in 1963. Dr. Clowes came to the United States from England in 1900 and settled in Buffalo, N.Y., where he worked as a chemist. He later moved to Indianapolis. Employed by Eli Lilly and Company as director of research, Clowes organized the mass production of insulin and led development efforts for liver extract, local anesthetics and antiseptics.
Edith Whitehill Hinkel Clowes was known as a collector and patron of the arts. She helped found Orchard School in Indianapolis, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Planned Parenthood of Indianapolis, and the Indianapolis Officers Club. She received an honorary doctorate of humane letters degree from Butler in 1962.
The Clowes’ sons, the late Dr. George H.A. Clowes Jr. (1915-1988) and the late Allen Whitehill Clowes (1917-2000), continued the family’s legacy of support at Butler until their deaths. Allen Clowes served as a Butler trustee from 1960 to 1984 and was instrumental in establishing the hall’s initial success.